Wednesday 5 October 2011

If your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?

Once again, Joe Duffy and Liveline 'break' another controversial story http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/college-to-probe-claims-students-ate-live-goldfish-169653.html. Seriously? Students have been doing ridiculous things like this for years. I was tempted to partake in similar competitions myself at college but when I saw that one of the items on the list that I would have to eat included that condiment I loathe above all others (ketchup), I decided to take a step back. While there may not have been live goldfish on the menu, there were some pretty vile combinations and I made a conscious decision not to put myself forward. It is highly unlikely that the son of the woman who rang to 'Talk to Joe' was forced into participating in one of these competitions. He made the choice to enter and while it is unfortunate that he became ill afterwards, he should have had some indication of his own digestive limitations and known when to call it quits. If a plate of raw chicken were to be placed in front of me, in a competitive situation or not, I'm pretty sure I would have the sense to say 'actually, I'm kinda full. I think I'll stop now'.

In a similar, and equally ridiculous, story, it has emerged that people were encouraged to submit photographs of themselves with serious sunburn in order to earn money towards a holiday. Obviously serious health risks are involved here also but again, while there may have been an incentive to take part, no one was strapped to a sun lounger and left out on a beach on the one sunny day of the year we've had so far.

**Addition to this blog on the 6th October. There is ANOTHER article today about 2 people being hospitalised for eating a killer curry in Edinburgh, Scotland. Fair play to the restaurant, their disclaimer is fairly explicit.... 'Kismot Restaurant will take no responsibilities for the bodily functions after you eat the curry.....If you die whilst eating or as a direct result of eating the curry, members of the table will share the cost of your Kismot Killer. If you become ill due to the Kismot Killer or if you find that you are experiencing any problems  with your lover(s) then under no circumstances are you entitled to blame Kismot Restaurant or any members of its staff'. Enough said really.....

Moral of the story - people are imbeciles. Do not be a sheep and do something of personal risk to yourself to make yourself look cooler. Joe Duffy will get you.

No comments:

Post a Comment